Monday, September 17, 2007

Champions again!

When it comes to cheerdancing, I have the highest respect for the UST Salinggawi Dance Troupe and of course, the UP Pep Squad. The creativity, synchronization and level of difficulty of their stunts are remarkable. I am proud of how the UP Pep Squad revolutionized cheerdancing in the Philippines, coming up with unusual stunts, routines and costumes.

This year I was surprised at how much the cheering squads of the other schools have improved, since the last time I watched the UAAP Cheerdance Competition was four years ago. The UE Cheering Squad and Ateneo Blue Babble Battalion impressed me because of their clean performances. On the other hand, I think the FEU Cheering Squad did well too, but their costume hindered me from further appreciating their performance. Despite my admiration for the UP Pep Squad, I was uncertain if they could beat the UST Salinggawi Dance Troupe this year. Their execution was flawless, but I felt it lacked "umph." After the UST Salinggawi Dance Troupe's performance, I had the same reaction. I was a bit happy though because they were unable to execute one of their pyramids which increased the chances of winning of the UP Pep Squad.

Seeing the performances of all the participants, the top four teams for me were, in no particular order, UP, FEU, UST and UE. In the end, I cannot decide which team will be champion. Once the scores were read, I noticed that the difference of the 2nd runner up to the 1st runner up was .5 and the difference of the 1st runner up to the Champion was .5 as well. It was a close fight, but as the saying goes, in the end, there can only be one. Yes, the UP Pep Squad has regained the title. Woohoo! It has been a long journey for this squad to reach the top again, but in the hearts of all the Iskolar ng Bayan, they have, are and will forever be No. 1.

U-nibersidad ng Pilipinas! U-nibersidad ng Pilipinas!

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Yahoo for UP! Hey May, are you going to write about La Salle's victory too? hehehe