Monday, April 23, 2007

Remembering Tito Edward

For whatever its worth, I was not able to pay my last respects to Tito Edward Loilo and commiserate with his grieving family - wife, kids and siblings, particularly Tita Perla. My schedules go a little mixed up but I am guilty by not exerting a little bit more effort to do a Christian obligation of comforting those who are in mourning.

I, however, would like to take this opportunity to make up for my shortcomings by paying tribute to the life of Tito Edward.

I wasn't able to really spent much bonding time with him but most of our time together was spent on the tennis court, giving me free lessons at Fort Bonifacio. He was always jolly, pumped-up and smiling. His PR was very good.

He knew a lot of very important people because of his job and amiable personality. I never got to benefit from his "connections" even if he was very generous in committing himself to it (you know, the kinda stuff you need when asking favors from people who can make decisions), but I had to presume he could deliver what he offered. In short, he was willing to go out of his way to help people, us included, in the same manner he was generous in giving his time to us for free tennis lessons.

In all those occasions I saw him, whether in Manila or in Bulan, I never saw him distressed, angry, sad or down. I had to assume that he must have done his thinking, planning or grieving alone.

He was, for me at least, a man whom I could not talk very serious and deep down topics. I got the impression that I could talk deep advocacies with him like being pro-life or saving the environment. He always took life smoothly, almost as smooth as silk, I suppose.

Let's face it, we could not talk about Tito Nono and Tito Edward in the same space. Its like comparing an apple and durian. Tito Nono is always drawn back, calculating, quiet, mystical even. Tito Edward always celebrated life and tried to capture every moment of it.

To you Tito Edward, I am gonna miss and I am sorry I wasn't able to pay my last respects.

I pray that you already heard these words: "Well done my faithful servant, enter into the joy of My Kingdom."

No comments: